Saturday, August 22, 2009

Day 14: Skinless Longganisa, Garlic Fried Rice and Salted Egg with Tomatoes

Try throwing your family a curve-ball for dinner by serving up breakfast treats. This will surely be a welcome surprise especially if you pair your ulam with the ever so fragrant garlic fried rice! There's something about the aroma of garlic fried rice that just whets the appetite :)

I was thinking of fying ready-made tocino for this dinner, but where's the challenge in that? So I made my own longganisa; but since I'm a bit queasy about using the traditional animal casings, I used the kitchen-handy wax paper/cling wrap to form my longganisa sausages.

I learned making skinless longganisa from a summer cooking class way back in high school. The recipe required the use of praque powder, which is not readily available in grocery stores. Cute as it looks with it's cottony pink color, a lot of people have some misgivings in using this partifcular ingredient - myself included - because, as far as I know, praque powder sounds and looks like a chemically generated aritificial preservative. If anybody wants to correct me, please do! So I haven't really used the recipe that was taught to me in cooking school... as in, never.

Instead, I often use the recipe taken from a recipe hand-out from Del Monte Kitchenomics which makes use of tomato sause to flavor the longganisa. This time though, I made use of the Vigan-style recipe posted on the overseaspinoycooking blog post, which tastes really good. Please check it out at www.overseaspinoycooking.com/2008/03/vigan-longganisa-homemade-skinless.html.

I paired the longganisa with garlic fried rice and sliced tomatoes and salted egg. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment