Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Day 13: Tinolang Manok

There's nothing as comforting as chicken soup. The Filipino version is called Tinolang Manok. It's another simple recipe that is good with rice. All you need is a whole chicken (about a kilo in weight) that is cut it into several pieces, two (2) medium-sized Chayote's that have been peeled and sliced, two (2) cups of sili leaves, a piece of ginger and an onion that's been sliced, and patis & pepper to taste.

I saute the onions and ginger in a pot with about a tablespoon of oil, then I add the chicken pieces and six cups of water and bring them to a boil. I then add some patis and pepper and simmer the soup for a few minutes. When the chicken is almost cooked, I add the chayote slices and simmer the soup till everything is well cooked. I adjust the seasonings, turn off the heat and add the sili leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment