Sunday, August 16, 2009

Day 12: Beef with Peppers and Fried Rice

I was thinking of making beef caldereta today but I simply didn't have the time. What better way to whip up dinner than to make a simple yet delicious stir-fry.

I sliced a fourth of a kilo of beef tenderloin into very thin strips so it would be easy to cook. Then I marinated it in two (2) tablespoons of soy sauce, one (1) teaspoon of sesame oil and a tablespoon of cornstarch for about five (5) minutes. I sliced a green and red bell pepper into strips and minced a clove of garlic and one (1) siling labuyo with seeds removed. I poured about two (2) tablespoons of oil in a pan and when the oil was up to temp, I stir-fried the beef for about two minutes, then I added the garlic, the siling labuyo and the peppers. I splashed some Chinese cooking wine, a tablespoon of oyster sauce and a pinch of sugar. The dish was done in a jiffy.

And since we had leftover rice, I made made yangchow fried rice, cleaning up the fridge in the process. I chopped two (2) cloves of garlic, a small shallot, a small piece of ginger & two (2) slices of ham. I also scrambled an egg.

I heated some oil in the pan and stir-fried the garlic, shallot, and ginger till they turned fragrant. I added a tablespoon each of soy sauce and vinegar, a splash of chinese cooking wine and half a teaspoon of sugar. Then I added the ham and four (4) cups of rice and stir-fried it thoroughly so that the sauce fully combines with the rice. Then I added the beaten egg, making sure also that it is well-combined. Some people add green peas but since I didn't have any, I just sprinkled a tablespoon of chopped scallions as garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment